PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The purpose of this senior leadership position is to lead the development of KosInvest’s operations to serve the needs and strengthen capacities of branch offices in order that they reach optimal performance, better serve our clients and impact positively on their life. The role is responsible for creating an operations strategy with a modern operating model and to create value chains for our clients, their customers and suppliers.
Success in the role will be measured primarily on: the sound growth, efficiency and effectiveness of branch operations; accurate and timely monitoring and reporting of operations; the quality of the loan portfolio; the consistency of credit risk assessment and mitigation; and the quality and client-centricity of KosInvest’s products, systems and services.
- In coordination with the CEO and CFO, prepares Annual Business Plan by determining the key business, social, growth and staffing objectives, efficiency and productivity standards/targets and ensures operating costs are in line with acceptable budget ratios at both branch and overall institutional level;
- Agrees with Branch Managers on their specific operating targets and objectives for all products and services for branch level and ensure efficient and effective operations department;
- Reviews and approves branch objectives;
- Responsible for the Operations Department budget;
- Reviews, consolidates, prepares and recommends to CEO the Annual Work Plan of the Operations Department.
Monitoring Operation Performance:
- Continuously monitors the external environment, performs necessary analysis and proactively makes proposals to the CEO and Board of Directors for improving the Company's strategic position;
- Proactively informs the CEO and the Board of Directors of the MFI about potential opportunities for business improvement in line with contemporary microfinance trend
- Closely monitors implementation of the approved Business Plan ensuring all departments and branch offices are achieving set goals and targets;
- Sets targets for field visits, verification visits, and meetings with branch office personnel and clients;
- Evaluates operations departments’ performance, identifies problems or issues and recommends corrective measures when necessary.
Control of Credit Risks and Operational Risks:
- Oversees the implementation of the internal control systems, ensuring the smooth running of the business and safeguarding the institution’s assets;
- Follows up with the relevant manager(s) to ensure any actions related to audit findings are implemented by branches;
- Shares information and communicates openly with senior managers; facilitates good flow of information flow between departments and around the branch network;
- Ensures compliance in Operations with all existing MFI and VFI policies, with local regulations and with all VFI/Lender covenants, and other third party lenders’ requirements;
- Ensures that policies and procedures are applied consistently and uniformly across all branches;
- Plans and ensures the implementation of an adequate and timely reporting system with focus on each branch’s asset quality, liquidity, capital adequacy, and provisioning;
- Consults with IT colleagues on any issues related to monitoring or reporting, and ensures issues are resolved as soon as possible;
- Takes an active leadership role with branches that are underperforming or are not compliant with a policy or regulation, etc., ensuring that appropriate measures are taken to bring the branch’s performance or compliance back to required standards;
- Actively works with the risk manager and all departments to identify and measure all risks, and actively develops mitigation strategies.
- Supervises marketing department on: plans and methods to create awareness of all products and services offered by the MFI; conducting customer satisfaction surveys to determine areas for improvement in products and services; and gathering information’s about competitors etc. Recommends marketing plans for CEO and Board approval;
- Provides regular updates for the MFI website (where relevant) and as needed by VFI or WV;
- Assists with drafting answers to public queries needed by the CEO or the Board;
- Builds and maintains relationships with World Vision, the local community, business organizations, strategic partners and industry networks to promote goodwill and generate new business (integration opportunities) and new sales channels and platforms.
- Ensure that the MFI reaches its target clients (poor, women with dependent children), making necessary adjustments to do so (changes in geographical location, introduction of new products) while balancing the need for institutional sustainability;
- Ensure that the products provided and the delivery methods meet the needs of the target client; Ensure that clients and their children are protected and treated with respect in the provision of financial services through implementation of the client protection policies. This includes not over-indebting clients, appropriate debt collection practices, and multiple accessible mechanisms for client complaints;
- Actively promote and ensure child well-being through gathering and reporting child well-being data, accurate children impacted figures and integration with WV;
- Ensure that branch managers and credit staff are trained in and apply strong social performance practices;
- Include social goals and indicators into business planning, receive regular reporting to track progress and make operational decisions (new products, delivery methods) to reach those goals;
- Take necessary actions to avoid social performance risks (mission drift, harm to clients, client turnover, etc.)
Staffing, Performance Management and Capacity Building:
- Participates in the selection and hiring of new employees in collaboration with HR department;
- Recommends promotion, suspension, dismissal, and/or transfer of staff within Operations;
- Ensures the annual Partnering for Performance Cycle is implemented and evaluates job performance of operations department managers and branch managers;
- Recommends merit increases; leads the design and implementation of other incentives for the Operations department, in collaboration with HR department;
- Regularly conducts a skills analysis for Branch Managers, analyzing gaps and developing plans for capacity building;
- Develops succession plans in collaboration with HR department;
- Monitors and evaluates the progress of capacity building and revises plans as necessary; develops annual training plan.
- Ensures all high-performing staff have a development plan in place;
- Ensures all under-performing staff are closely managed so that performance improves or separation is managed according to local regulations (as guided by HR Manager).
Development of Products and Services:
- Continually gathers information and proactively analyzes the strategic position of the MFI compared to the industry;
- Conducts/directs market research activities and analysis to determine new geographical locations, target clients, products and services that are suitable to be piloted;
- Reviews internal and external studies on new methodologies/approaches to improve field operations and social performance for review by CEO/BOD;
- Once approved, pilot tests new product/methodologies, monitors and evaluates results and proposes actions to be taken to introduce into MFI (if warranted);
- Plans implementation of new products/services and details positive results / risks for presentation and approval by the Board; and leads the implementation and monitoring of new products/services.
- Operations Manager (COO) reports directly to the KosInvest Executive Director (CEO).
- Operations Manager (COO) serves on the senior management team.
CLIENT COMPLAINT COMMITTEE:
- Actively participate in the client complaint committee, as one member.
- Follow up on client complaints as per local requirements.
- Serve as Representative of KosInvest for the Data Protection Agency in Kosovo.
- Make sure that KosInvest is in compliance with the Law on Data Protection.
- Develop appropriate policies and procedures as per Data Protection Law.
- Make sure the policies and procedures are followed.
- Raise awareness on Data Protection Law; and if required train KI staff members on the same matter.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Degree in Economics, Accounting, Banking or Business Administration or any other social science field;
- Work experience of at least 10 years, of which at least 5 years in managerial positions;
- Work experience of at least 5 years in microfinance institutions, in retail banking sector or any other relevant category;
- Excellent knowledge of MS office software;
- High level of analytics, market knowledge and strategic orientation;
- High level of communication, leadership, sales, customer service and marketing skills;
- Advanced knowledge of economics and finance;
- Demonstrated skills in training, facilitation, mentoring and coaching;
- Ability to inspire and empower employees to learn how to adapt to changes;
- Demonstrable commitment to the Institution’s social mission and Core Values as part of the VisionFund International network of MFIs;
- Fluency in written and spoken English, preferred Serbian;
- People oriented and results focused with a commitment to social impact;
- Possess a driver license and willing to travel within Kosovo frequently and outside of Kosovo occasionally.