Terms of Reference (ToR)
Environment Assessment and Strategy on FEGO Sectors
Swisscontact Kosovo for the project:
Fostering Employment and Growth Opportunities (FEGO)
The Fostering Employment and Growth Opportunities (FEGO) project in Kosovo is financed by Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) and implemented by Swisscontact in Kosovo. The project aims to generate employment and income for women, men, and youth, presently living in poverty and socio-economic marginalization. This is intended to be achieved through sustainable and scalable growth of micro/small (family) business and start-ups, in the apparel, furniture and rural tourism sectors.
FEGO applies a Market Systems Development (MSD) approach, specifically focusing on market facilitation through new, innovative business models to ensure large-scale sustainable changes in respective sectors. The project will reach its goal through two main objectives: 1) Fostering the growth and development of micro/small (family) business in the apparel and furniture sectors and facilitating their entrepreneurship growth and 2) supporting local communities operating with rural tourism activities, and their micro and small enterprises towards development of rural tourism. Both outcomes will contribute to more sustainable and inclusive market systems, improving income, productivity and enhancing job creation in the private sector, therefore contributing to address high unemployment and poverty rates in the country, especially amongst youth and women. Swisscontact, through the FEGO project, promotes inclusive social, economic, and ecological development to make an effective contribution towards sustainable and widespread prosperity, offering the chance to economically and socially disadvantaged people to improve their lives on their own initiative.
This ToR describes the objectives and scope for an environmental specialist to conduct an environmental assessment and the strategy for FEGO related sectors, specifically for the apparel, furniture and rural tourism sectors. The FEGO project will ensure that its interventions and activities will not produce negative impact towards the environment, as well as mainstream initiatives that contribute positively towards the environment. The focus of this assignment is to provide a thorough analysis of the potential impact that FEGO interventions and activities could produce towards the environment as well as specific recommendations for mainstreaming initiatives that contribute to improving the environment. The report must be written in line with SIDA’s environment guidelines and integrate sustainable development topics around FEGO related sectors.
Objectives and Scope
The environmental assessment will provide the project team with necessary information on the environmental risks and respective mitigation measures as well as to propose practical solutions for designing interventions and activities on environmental sustainability for the furniture, apparel, and rural tourism sectors. The assessment will also serve as a guiding plan of actions which will ensure that the project considers the environmental issues when designing, implementing, and monitoring its interventions. The environmental assessment on FEGO sectors will be used to ensure that any substantial negative environmental adverse impacts are avoided, minimized, mitigated, and managed. Environment assessment strategy further ensures that the environmental benefits are pointed and enhanced. The assessment should address the potential risks of project interventions to relevant issues of climate change, biodiversity, resource efficiency and the prevention of pollution (water, soils) and also mitigation measures for such issues. As such, the applicant should have an understanding of the context where the activities of the project are implemented, including what the situation currently looks like and what can be foreseen in terms of environmental problems in the future. In addition, it should emphasize does the environmental situation impact the people and their health, well-being, livelihood and security, now and in the future. All proposed recommendations shall be in line with FEGO structure of activities. The consultancy related work outlined in this ToR shall be conducted in close coordination with the FEGO project team.
The key objectives of the assignment are:
- To identify important environmental, natural resource-related and climate change-related risks bearing on the performance of the sectors (furniture, apparel and rural tourism in Kosovo) and also to include any activities that might pose such environmental risks (risks from environmental degradation, climate change and loss of biodiversity affecting the sustainability of the project activities);
- Documented understanding of how different groups (including women, men, boys and girls) are affected by degradation, climate change and loss of biodiversity.
- To identify opportunities for the furniture, apparel, and rural tourism sectors including opportunities for longer-term benefits for socio-economic development and transformation to green economy and resilient society;
- Suggest measures and propose activities to utilize opportunities for a positive impact thatthat respective value chain actors can implement contributing towards environmental sustainability;
- To develop tools to assess and design sustainable business models for FEGO interventions;
- To develop mitigation measures on avoiding environmental risks that can harm the environment in the above-mentioned sectors;
- The environmental assessment should reflect the project’s expected outcomes, objectives and results, as well as include targets and indicators that can help monitor the management of these risks.
This assessment will then be taken into account in the preparation, review or implementation of the interventions in three project sectors. This information should help ensure that environmental concerns are appropriately integrated in the design of the interventions and implementation processes.
To achieve the objectives, the consultant/s are expected to conduct the following activities in close coordination with the FEGO team:
- Provide a detailed methodology for undertaking the environmental assessment;
- Conduct desk research on environmentalrelated issues with regards to FEGO’s three sectors;
- Analyse existing information and findings of internal market assessment provided by the FEGO team on three given sectors;
- Prepare a brief description of the sector’s policy, institutional and legal framework, focusing on those related to environment and climate change;
- Conduct interviews with key market actors and stakeholders(if relevant);
- Prepare the environment assessment and strategy on FEGO sectors; and
- Revise the draft report as per teamcomments.
The consultant/s is expected to deliver the following:
- The environment assessment and strategy on FEGO sectors
The report must be written in English.
The assignment period is planned between the period from 25 April 2022 to 10 June 2022.
All costs including, travel expenses, meals and other related costs, should be foreseen in the consultant/s’ proposal.
Total working days for the consultant are reflected in the table below:
Tasks | Days
- Methodology of the report | 0.5
- Desk research | 2
- Interviews with key value chain actors and stakeholders | 1
- Collection of information and analysis on the FEGO’s sector | 3.5
- Report writing | 3
Total days | 10
- Education in relevant area such as environment, climate change, natural resources management or any related fields for the tasks described;
- A minimum of 5 years of proven relevant experience and practical working experience in environmental topics;
- Expertise on the furniture, apparel and rural tourism sectors and the local context in Kosovo (experience in the sectors, country and region will be valued);
- Capability to deliver required outputs on schedule;
- Good interpersonal, social, communication and computer skills;
- Fluency in English. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
Contact and Submission of Offer
Interested candidates/companies shall submit a brief technical and a financial offer based on the terms of reference by 14 April 2022 with the subject REF: “Environment Assessment and Strategy on FEGO Sectors” to email@example.com.
Applicants must submit:
- Professional profile of the consultant/company (CVs of consultant or team of consultants;
- Technical Offer including (methodology that shall be used, draft work plan and suggested timetable;
- Financial offer.