Temporary Job Opening – Internal/External
- Job opening #: TJO (N) 2020-005
- Deadline: 08 January 2021
- Post Title: Assistant Political Affairs Officer
- Level: NO-A
- Organizational Unit: Office of Political Affairs
- Location: Pristina
UNMIK invites qualified internal applicants and as well as external applicants in the relevant occupational group to apply for the position highlighted below. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, Personal History Profile (PHP) or Personal History form (P.11) and copy of the latest two Performance reports (if applicable).
Kindly note that applications upon receipt will be reviewed and only applicants who are short-listed will receive an acknowledgement within six weeks from the deadline for submission of applications.
Please indicate the Temporary Job Opening number in the subject of your e-mail
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general guidance of the Chief of the OPA, the incumbent shall be responsible for:
Monitoring and analysing the Kosovo Serb political landscape and political developments, assessing trends which might affect the political situation and might have a serious political impact so as to provide early warning and strategy recommendations for the Mission Leadership.
- Provide support and advice through the Head of OPA to UNMIK leadership and UNHQ on political matters pertaining to the Mission's mandate:
- Compile, draft and analyse information on K-Serb related political developments in Kosovo and provide relevant analysis and advice to mission
- Prepare daily and monthly situation reports, provide analytical inputs for thematic code cables, quarterly, reports of the Secretary-General to the Security Council, briefing packages, background briefing notes, analyses of the political scene, strategy recommendations, talking points, notes to the file and correspondence as
- Key related actions:
- Monitor and report on K-Serb political, socio-economic and security issues and the activities of Belgrade’s elements in Kosovo (focus on K-Serb majority municipalities and enclaves south of the Ibar River).
- Prepare briefing packages, background briefing notes, strategy recommendations and talking points.
- Maintain and develop contacts with K-Serb representatives in Kosovo central government authorities, K-Serb political parties and civil society groups.
- Establish connections with the Belgrade-appointed institutions in Kosovo.
- Prepare special and/or topical reports as dictated by developments on the ground.
- Exchange official and unofficial communications with members of other organizations on political developments.
- Analyse political aspects of the dialogue between Pristina and Belgrade.
Professionalism: Proven conceptual, analytical, and evaluative skills; ability to conduct independent analysis and make conclusions and recommendations. An in-depth understanding of Kosovo politics and the regional political situation. Ability to identify key strategic issues, achievements and risks.
Planning and organizing: Develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, identifying priority activities so as to adjust work as needed and allow for contingencies. Ability to work independently, with very limited supervision and under pressure. Strategic thinking and forward planning capabilities.
Communication: Speak and write clearly and fluently in English, with the capacity to listen and respond effectively. Written reporting and analysis to a high standard are essential.
Teamwork: Work collaboratively with colleagues. Ability to mix with a wide range of people at all levels.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Advanced university degree in Political Science, Public Administration, or related fields. A first level university degree with two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: A minimum of one to two years of progressively responsible experience in political science, international relations, law, disarmament, security, development management, conflict resolution or related area. Experience working with a UN peacekeeping operations, international organization or non-governmental organization is desirable.
LANGUAGES: Fluency in English and Serbian (both oral and written) is required; Working knowledge of Albanian language is desirable.
As specified above, internal/external applicants are requested to submit a cover letter referring to Job Opening No. TJO (N) 2020-005 along with completed PHP/P11 to the attention of Human Resources Section by mail, fax or email to the following addresses:
P P.O. Box 999,10000 Pristina, Kosovo, Fax No: +381-38-504604 ext 5848
E-mail to email@example.com