- Requisition ID: GOV00000A
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Location: OSCE Mission in Kosovo, Prishtine / Pristina
- Posting Date: Aug 31, 2021
- External Closing Date: Sep 14, 2021
- Target Start Date: Oct 1, 2021
- Job Type: Consultant
- Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent)
The OSCE Mission in Kosovo (Mission) has been providing extensive technical assistance over the years to all Assembly of Kosovo structures, including the presidency, its committees, the secretariat, parliamentary groups and special interest groups, since its establishment.
Special focus is placed on meaningful engagement of women, youth and non-majority representatives in the work of the legislature, through technical expertise, best practice exchanges, mentoring and coaching, as well as through the identification of procedural and other shortcomings deriving from the daily monitoring.
In 2021, the Mission under its project “(CHANGE) III” will support the President of the Assembly by engaging an international advisor to support daily operations of his office. The hired advisor will provide support with their expertise in legislative analysis and review of new draft legislation; oversight and coordination of the committees, parliamentary groups; Assembly of Kosovo (AoK) staff and other bodies of the Assembly.
The Advisor will also focus his or her support in providing advice on the implementation of newly-adopted AoK internal regulations (e.g. the new Rules of Procedure, Strategic Plan, and Action Plan) research and recommendations on effective Parliamentary practices and translation of these principles into Assembly-appropriate approaches and other expert advisory support as required by the AoK President.
The Advisor will work in the Assembly of Kosovo premises and the Assembly will provide the necessary working equipment.
Objective of Assignment:
The objective is to support the Assembly of Kosovo President to fulfil his constitutional mandate in a professional, efficient and effective way and to manage the legislative process in an independent, participatory and transparent manner, as the highest representative and legislative institution in Kosovo.
Duration of Assignment:
The International Consultant/Advisor will be engaged from 1 October to 20 December 2021, for a total of 45 days.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the President of the Assembly and in coordination with the Governance Section (GS) Activity Manager, the international advisor will be tasked to provide daily support to the President of the Assembly on:
- Use and interpretation of the Rules of Procedure;
- Strengthening the role and functioning of the Assembly;
- Providing procedural support on draft legislation and oversight;
- Advising the AoK President how to enhance engagement of women, youth and non-majority representatives in the work of the legislature;
- Extending the development of inter-parliamentary co-operation.
- Advise the President on best European parliamentary practices;
- Liaise with Members of the Presidency, parliamentary groups and Assembly Secretariat;
- Liaise with the office of Legal Affairs in relation to the promulgation of legislation;
- Liaise with other organizations in Kosovo that support the Assembly (upon request).
The international advisor is expected to communicate with the GS Activity Manager on a weekly basis.
- Monthly reports covering the major tasks performed in the respective month;
- Final report.
- Effective and efficient communication with the beneficiaries;
- Flexible on possible new instructions from the Activity Manager;
- Consultancy implemented as planned;
- Timely submission of all the deliverables and other products that are foreseen in this TOR.
Assembly of Kosovo.
The consultant is expected to conduct his or her work in-person at the Assembly of Kosovo, unless changes in the ongoing pandemic situation cause the Assembly to switch to a remote work regime. In this case, the consultant can conduct his or her work remotely for so long as the Assembly is working remotely.
- University degree in political sciences, social sciences, international relations, public policy, law or equivalent professional experience;
- Work experience in either public administration, relevant international organizations, civic associations (including NGOs), political parties/affairs, or economic and political development;
- Demonstrable organizational, communication, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Minimum 5 years relevant, diversified and progressively responsible professional experience;
- Inside knowledge of the functioning of one of the parliaments from continental Europe;
- Knowledge of regional political history and developments;
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and judgement to local conditions and communities;
- Professional fluency in English language;
- Working knowledge of local languages is an asset;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a member of a team, with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
Remuneration will depend on the qualifications and experience of individual experts as well as the detailed work plan to be agreed upon and will be based on the current OSCE consultancy rates. In order to apply for this position you must complete the OSCE's online application form, found under https://jobs.osce.org/. Applicants are encouraged to use the online recruitment and only fully completed OSCE applications will be accepted. However, if you have technical difficulties with the system you may use the offline application form found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/offline-application-form and forward the completed form quoting the vacancy number by e-mail to: email@example.com. In line with your qualifications please indicate preference to one or more field of expertise listed above (while using the online application the field of expertise preference can be indicated in the cover letter part). Kindly note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or in other languages than the English language would not be considered. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious,ethnic and social backgrounds to apply.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.