Location : Prishtina, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 22-May-22 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 27-May-2022
Duration of Initial Contract : 27 May 2022 - 26 November 2022
Expected Duration of Assignment : 27 May 2022 - 26 November 2022
The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) is committed to addressing dealing with the past and transitional justice as a priority. Two Working Groups have been established on drafting of the Strategy on Transitional Justice and amending Law on Missing Persons, among other intiatives. MoJ is also working on improving policies and the overall legal framework on transitional justice as well as increasing capacities for justice institutions in addressing conflict-related crime cases.
Drafting of public policies on dealing with the past requires expertise in the field of transitional justice, human rights, international law and international humanitarian law. As such, MoJ has limited expertise to lead the drafting the Strategy on Transitional Justice through a bottom up, victim-centered and gender sensitive approach, in line with international standards and practices.
Objectives of Assignment
The Strategy on Transitional Justice is developed through a bottom up approach, is victim-centered and gender sensitive, and in line with international standards and practices.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the direct supervision of the Portfolio Manager/Deputy Programme Coordinator, and in cooperation with the assigned focal point in the MoJ, the advisor will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide subject-matter expertise:
- Provide substantive inputs, including the review of the current framework, on the content of the Strategy for Transitional Justice in Kosovo (as developed by the Working Group);
- Draft, in cooperation with the Working Group, the Action Plan for the Strategy for Transitional Justice;
- Provide overall recommendation to MoJ for developing transitional justice policies from a bottom-up, victim-centered and gender sensitive approach;
- Support the MoJ with substantive inputs when participating in working group meetings and focus group meetings;
- Provide recommendations to stakeholders, working groups and consolidate input from beneficiaries and stakeholders
- 2. Research, consultations, technical support:
- Conduct desk research of international practices and standards on transitional justice;
- Conduct research on best practices of transitional justice strategies;
- Conduct consultations with stakeholders regarding needs/constraints for policy and legal drafting;
- Participate in and support MoJ officials in meetings with stakeholders, partners and beneficiaries on transitional justice policies and legislation.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- An analytical report on the draft of the STJ in relation to the international practices and standards (expected completion time May 2022)
- Recommendations on drafting of the Action Plan based on the actual proposal (expected completion time Mid-June 2022)
- Recommendation on developing transitional justice policies from a bottom, victim centered and gender sensitive approach, based on best practices (expected completion time June 2022)
- An analytical report, with recommendations, on the amendment of the Law on Missing Persons, review of the current draft Law (expected completion time July 2022)
- Consolidate and incorporate the inputs from stakeholder consultations in the STJ draft (timeline is dependent on when the public consultations will be concluded) - (expected completion time June/July 2022)
- Draft a report with recommendation on increasing the capacity of justice institutions to address conflict-related crimes (expected completion time August 2022)
- Advisory support to the MoJ on TJ (expected completion time October 2022)
- Complete any outstanding work/activities for MoJ and prepare a final report for UNDP on the assignment results (expected completion time November 2022)
Remuneration - Lump Sum Amount
The Contract is based on lump sum remuneration and shall be processed subject to completion and validation of deliverables as per below schedule:
- 20% of the total amount upon completion of first and second deliverables;
- 30% of the total amount upon completion of third, fourth and fifth deliverables;
- 30% of the total amount upon completion of sixth and seventh deliverable;
- 20% of the total amount upon completion of eighth deliverable.
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are requested:
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability.
- Personal CV and P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Offeror and at least three (3) professional references.
- Technical proposal, a max. 2-page document briefly outlining the methodology envisaged for the assignment for delivering the expected results within the indicated timeframe.
- Financial Proposal that indicates lump sum payment based on completion of deliverables.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
Criteria for selection of the Best Offer
Offers will be evaluated utilizing a combined Scoring method – where the qualifications and technical proposal will be weighted a max. of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%.
- Committed to professionalism, impartiality, accountability and integrity;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, ethnicity, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates substantial experience in gender equality. Actively promotes gender equality in all activities;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Ability to work effectively within a team and develop good relationships with counterparts and stakeholders;
- Ability to synthesise research and draw conclusion on the related subjects;
- Ability to pay attention to details;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment;
- Good organisational skills;
- Commitment to accomplish work;
- Responds positively to critical feedback;
- Results and task oriented.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
Master’s degree in human rights, TJ, international development or other related qualification.
- At least 3 years of demonstrated relevant work experience in a similar role;
- Proven experience in Kosovo on issues related to HR/TJ;
- Experience in working with international or Kosovo institutions on the subject is a distinct advantage;
- Ability to work as part of a team in a complex setting;
- Proven analytical skills and ability to translate concept and ideas into practical measures;
- Proven ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Fluency in Albanian and English languages, written and spoken. Knowledge of Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian is desirable.
- Click on the "Apply now" button.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box.
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume.
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.