Executive Producer, Prishtina
Please quote vacancy number: BSSB013-2301
Open until suitable candidate is identified.
The Executive Producer is responsible for all video production and related editorial content to ensure industry standard production quality at the broadcast language service in Prague and its bureau. Working with the Service Director and Bureau Chief/Chief Editor, the Executive Producer is a team leader, supervising the content creators who gather video, graphics and other elements for daily video production on multiple platforms.
- Executive Producer is responsible for all video production and related editorial content to ensure industry standard production quality.
- Determines the visual look of the program, including set design, video presentation, pacing, content and graphics.
- Supervises all production for editorial and visual accuracy, style and thoroughness of reporting. As needed, edits news copy, intros and scripts pre-production to ensure accuracy, balance, context and continuity.
- Exercises excellent news judgment.
- Presents coverage ideas to the Bureau Chief/Chief Editor for discussion at the daily editorial meeting.
- Works with the Bureau Chief/Chief Editor and TV team to assign reporters and producers in the bureau and Prague contributing to the programs to review production progress and approve material for broadcast, ensuring staff meet all deadlines.
- Working with the Bureau Chief/Chief Editor and TV Team, decides whether news items will be reported as a live guest, package, word story, voice-over, reporter on set, etc.
- May supervise the Line Producer to create rundowns for programs and bring the program to air. Has the authority to restack the rundown if necessary.
- Coordinates editing, assigning video editors and graphics artists to projects.
- Supervises production progress (including content, show timing, editorial transitions and a coherent graphic look) and advises TV Team on best practices.
- Works closely with the production and operations team to ensure all production and technical needs are addressed.
- Reviews show production problems with staff in the post-mortem, providing constructive feedback regarding news coverage and programming immediately after the program airs.
- Works with operations and technical staff to ensure problems do not become chronic.
- Shares content with other services and USAGM entities.
- Trains production techniques and new technology.
- Working with the Service Chief and Bureau Chief/Chief Editor, looks far ahead on the calendar for future coverage opportunities, necessary show elements and special events coverage.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- University degree in journalism or equivalent news production experience.
- Substantial experience as a journalist in a daily broadcast news organization.
- History of successful live news production under deadline pressure.
- Deep understanding of target country politics and culture.
- Proven editorial and production supervision of radio, web, and multimedia video production.
- Exercises sound news judgment and leadership qualities in editorial tasks and sensitive situations.
- Proven ability to produce innovative, creative, cross-platform journalism and storytelling that can be held up as examples of best-practice journalism.
- Ability to produce, report and write for broadcast from a network of original sources, including short and long-form video reports.
- Strong control room production skills, with deep knowledge of the workflow needed to broadcast a live or recorded program and meet all deadlines.
- Experience producing live television programs in a breaking news environment with multiple reporters and hosts in the field.
- Consistently pitches original ideas resulting in viable suggestions for coverage and delivery.
- Familiarity with political, economic and social issues in Kosovo as well as regional and international news events.
- Willingness and ability to work with new audio and video technologies, newsroom systems, information research tools and digital platforms to improve news gathering practices in the service.
- Able to manage assigned staff, proactively providing support.
- Able to provide staff with extended coaching and mentoring when required.
- Takes responsibility for personal professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and with training.
- Contributes to maintaining a positive, collegial working environment.
- Able to effectively use all RFE/RL content management systems and a broadcast MAM.
- Has a good understanding of the challenges facing the Service and contributes to in-Service strategic planning.
- Broadcast language is mandatory.
- English language (spoken and written), mandatory.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.