Task manager/Senior Spatial Urban Planner with focus on Cultural Heritage
Deadline for applications: 28 January 2022
Duty station: Prishtina/Pristina
Issued on 14 December 2021
Functional title: Task manager/Senior Spatial Urban Planner with focus on Cultural Heritage
Duty station: Prishtina/Pristina with travel to the selected Municipalities (Prizren and Mitrovica)
Contract type: Service Contract
Duration of assignment: 12 working months (with possibility for extension)
Closing date for applications: 28 January 2022
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the lead United Nations agency for cities and human settlements. The agency is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all and sustainable development. UN-Habitat has been actively assisting Kosovo institutions in the field of governance, spatial planning, and municipal administration since 1999. Currently UN-Habitat is implementing the Inclusive Development Programme (2016-2021+) which aims to build municipal planning and management capacities, strengthen the social contract and social cohesion, and enhance coordination within a framework of inter-municipal cooperation and multi-level governance with a view to foster inclusive development and good governance in northern Kosovo.
Within the Inclusive Development Programme, UN-Habitat has supported activities addressing cultural heritage issues from the spatial planning perspective in Municipal Development plans and Zoning Maps and have designed and implemented capital projects that have enhanced the cultural heritage values of respective places.
Building on its knowledge, tools and expertise, the UN-Habitat Kosovo Office provides at the demand of partners, strategic and comprehensive package of support. In that perspective, UN-Habitat Kosovo Office and the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports in Kosovo are collaborating on a list of activities relating to cultural heritage aiming to promote sustainable spatial development of Cultural heritage sites through integrated conservation, participatory processes and innovative planning and design methods used to balance interests and needs.
The general purpose of the Senior Spatial/Urban Planner is to manage and ensure timely completion of the specific activities related to Cultural Heritage and Spatial Planning, in regular coordination with the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports, and other stakeholders. The Senior Spatial/Urban Planner will be leading and coordinating the work of junior planner, cultural heritage expert, respective consultants, interns, and other staff involved in activities.
Skill Sets Required
A range of skills will be required in: project management; spatial and urban planning; urban design; cultural heritage; urban conservation; stakeholder and civil society participation; ability to collect, record and interpret data; ability to interpret legislation and to provide guidance for its enforcement; and a good working knowledge of the national Law in Spatial Planning and respective legislation on Cultural Heritage. The Senior Spatial/Urban Planner is expected to mentor employees/contractors under his/ her responsibility and strengthen the skills, experience and knowledge of partners through a variety of means but primarily involving advisory services, learning-by-doing, side by side in-service training methods, and experience sharing.”
Under the general guidance and direct supervision of the UN-Habitat Kosovo Head of the Office the Spatial Urban Planner will be responsible for performing the following main tasks:
- Prepare the yearly work plan for activities within the programme with a focus on Cultural Heritage
- Manage the overall implementation of activities related to Cultural Heritage in line with the programme’s objectives, activities and expected outcomes.
- Coordinate and monitor the work of junior planner, cultural heritage expert, and respective consultants, interns and other staff involved in activities.
- Liaise regularly with the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport, Ministry of Spatial Planning and Infrastructure, Regional Centers for Culture Heritage and Institutes, Respective municipalities, and other stakeholders.
- Manage the process of participatory design and implementation of capital investment project in Archaeological Site/Public Space within Prizren Historical Center.
- Manage and coordinate the process of drafting the Feasibility studies and management or development plans for historical centres including Prishtina Historical Center and Zym Village;
- Responsible for drafting the Guidelines on integrating cultural heritage as an asset for local development in Spatial plans including MDPs, MZMs, and DSPs, targeting local governments.
- Manage the process of drafting the Industrial Heritage Interactive Mobility Map Stan Trg.
- Contribute to knowledge management, communication, and outreach activities of the project.
- Assist with translation and interpretation, both verbal and written, when required. Provide language quality checks of written materials.
- Provide monthly progress reports to the UN-Habitat Kosovo Head of Office and inputs to progress reports for the Prishtina/ Pristina office; and
- Perform any other functions and tasks which may be required by the nature of the projects’ activities.
The work shall be performed from Prishtina/Pristina with travel to the selected municipalities. Transport to and from work will be the employee’s responsibility. Travel to other municipalities than the duty station will be covered by the project.
Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; – Ability to conduct data collection using various methods; – Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, among which electronic sources on the internet, intranet, and other databases; – Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; – Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; – Is willing to learn from others; – Places team agenda before personal agenda; – Supports and acts in accordance with a final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; – Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; – Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; -Uses time efficiently. Communication: Excellent and effective written and oral skills; ability to persuade people with varying points of view and to present information in a concise and accurate manner, ability to clearly communicate links between the organizations.
Qualifications and requirements
Education and experience
- Advanced University Degree (Masters Level) or higher in the field of Architecture, Urban Planning, Culture Heritage, Urban Conservation or similar
- At least 5-7 years of experience working in the field of spatial planning, specifically on drafting spatial planning documents, urban developing plans and urban design projects related to cultural heritage.
- Have advanced knowledge and understanding of concepts related to Spatial Planning, Urban Design and Cultural Heritage as well as international trends and best practices.
- Knowledge of Kosovo national legislation in the field of Spatial planning and Culture Heritage as well as international charters and recommendations regarding the build cultural heritage.
- Strong facilitation and analytical skills, as well as writing and presenting in Albanian and English.
- English is the working language of UN-Habitat Kosovo Office; a very good command of English is required – reading, writing, and speaking; and
- Fluency (reading, writing, and speaking) of at least one local language of Kosovo is required.
- Good analytical, solution defining, creative and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of innovative participatory planning, urban design and integrated Cultural Heritage approaches;
- Knowledge of online communication, networking and collaboration tools;
- Capable of working in a team and undertaking initiative to ensure smooth relations and open communication within the team and with partners, incl. local level, and other entities, etc.;
- Experience working with UN system is an advantage; and
- Excellent digital skills are required, incl. Microsoft Office, computer-aided design (CAD) i.e. AutoCAD or ArchiCAD, Geographic Information System (GIS Software)
- Valid driving license and the ability to obtain a UN driver’s license.
The candidate should be:
- Willing to take responsibility, act professionally at all times, and make sure tasks are fully completed.
- Be willing to work across the entire partner stakeholder’s geographical area, including temporary placements at other field offices;
- Sensitive to gender issues and issues of concern to vulnerable groups.
- Flexible and prepared to pursue goals through teamwork.
- Able to meet deadlines for reporting and all project work.
- Express enthusiasm and willingness to continue learning new skills and share experiences with other members of the team.
- Able to adapt to a multi-ethnic environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit an email quoting the post title and the duty station to the email address: email@example.com
with the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Cover letter explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
- Completion of a CV in P11 Form which can be downloaded at: http://unhabitat-kosovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/p11_form.doc
The CV shall include information on the past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references.
Deadline for applications: 28 January 2022
UN-Habitat does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org