Local expert on copyright infringement - intellectual property and protection of trademarks (SSAs)
- Requisition ID: SER000001
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Location: OSCE Mission in Kosovo, Prishtine / Pristina
- Posting Date: Aug 19, 2021
- External Closing Date: Aug 31, 2021
- Target Start Date: Sep 27, 2021
- Job Type: Consultant
- Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent)
Intellectual property represents one of the most important areas towards economic development and innovation growth in global economies. In general, this area is relatively new to Kosovo enterprises and institutions. The Stabilization and Association Agreement and the need to harmonize the existing legislation with the EU acquis have increased the importance placed on this sector in Kosovo, thereby serving as important pillars against counterfeiting and other dimensions of intellectual property violations. The 2020 European Commission Report for Kosovo assessed that, Kosovo has some level of preparation in this area and that some progress was made by aligning the legal framework on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) with the EU acquis, by adopting a strategy to strengthen the copyright system and reducing the backlog of applications. The report also noted that the lack of co-operation between institutions continues to hinder effective enforcement of intellectual property rights.
Following a request by Kosovo Police, the OSCE Mission in Kosovo will organize a two-day in-person workshop on Copyright Infringement - Intellectual Property and Protection of Trademarks.
Against this background, the OSCE Mission in Kosovo intends to hire a local expert who will increase participants’ knowledge regarding legislation that protects copyright, industrial property, ways and types of copyright infringement, as well as ways to investigate criminal offenses that infringe this right.
The training will cover:
- Definition of industrial property, copyright and related rights;
- International standards and developments in the field of intellectual property;
- Economic dimensions of intellectual property;
- Global intellectual property issue.
- Legislation framework and current situation in Kosovo
The training will be delivered to 20 participants consisting of representatives of Kosovo Police (first-level supervisors and investigators), Prosecution Office, Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) and Tax Administration in Kosovo (TAK).
Objective of Assignment:
The training aims at promoting exchange of information among respective institutions on intellectual property and protection of trademarks. It will also explore the sophisticated nature of internet-enabled counterfeiting crimes and scams as well as tactics for establishing evidence in trademark counterfeiting criminal cases with successful case examples.
Duration of Assignment:
The duration of consultancy is three working days
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Activity Manager, the local expert will strenthen participants’ knowledge in the area of copyright Infringement - intellectual property and protection of trademarks.
The expert will be responsible for:
- Developing the training methodology and materials in consultation with the activity manager and deliver the agenda, training materials - presentation slides and case studies prior to the training;
- Delivering a two-day training on the topics: definition of industrial property, copyright and related right; International developments in the field of intellectual property; Economic dimensions of intellectual property; Global intellectual property issue.
- Identifying possible legislative gaps and present recommendations to be taken into consideration by the respective institutions in Kosovo.
- Conducting pre-training evaluation in order to understand the prior knowledge of the recipients of the topics covered in the training, in order to design an appropriate course flow.
- Conducting post-training evaluation in order to determine whether the training was beneficial to the participants and identify any follow-up required actions.
- By 27 September 2021, submit the presentation, agenda and corresponding materials to the activity manager for approval and potential amendment, including the pre-training survey questions;
- By 15 October 2021, conduct a two-day training for 20 participants;
- By 25 October 2021, deliver a final report to the SOCS Project Manager summarizing the observations during the training, identified legislative gaps on the topic, as well as future actions recommendations.
- Final training material/presentation and agenda are submitted on time;
- Two days training delivered as scheduled and planned in the requested format, and meeting the requirements of the activity manager;
- Positive feedback from at least 70% of participants (verbally and written) is received.
- Bachelor's degree in Law or related field with a focus on patents and intelectual property;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in the field of Intellectual intellectual property and patents;
- Proven experience in delivering specialized training courses in the context of IPR;
- Knowledge of the Kosovo and international legal and institutional frameworks and practices in the field of IRP
- Excellent spoken Albanian and English language is required.
- Cultural sensitivity and sound professional judgment.
Remuneration will depend on the qualifications and experience of individual experts as well as the detailed work plan to be agreed upon and will be based on the current OSCE consultancy rates
In order to apply for this position you must complete the OSCE's online application form, found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies. Applicants are encouraged to use the online recruitment and only fully completed OSCE applications will be accepted. However, if you have technical difficulties with the system you may use the offline application form found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/offline-application-form and forward the completed form quoting the vacancy number by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In line with your qualifications please indicate preference to one or more field of expertise listed above (while using the online application the field of expertise preference can be indicated in the cover letter part). Kindly note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or in other languages than the English language would not be considered. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply.