Justice Activity in Kosovo
Recruitment For Legal Advisor
Chemonics seeks a candidate for the position of Legal Advisor for the USAID-funded Kosovo Justice Activity. The purpose of the Justice Activity is a more responsive justice system capable of providing people access to quality services and multiple means to solve their justice needs and every day legal problems to generate greater public trust in the justice system and the rule of law. This activity builds on USAID’s previous projects in Kosovo and lessons learned by USAID/Kosovo, local partners, and other donors.
The Activity is organized by three integrated objectives, 1) Quality and Accessibility of Justice Services Improved, 2) Citizen Understanding, Engagement, and Trust of the Justice System Improved, and 3) Effective Innovations in the Justice Sector Developed. Community-based activities under Objective 2 anchor the Justice Activity in Kosovo by defining the problems to be solved under Objectives 1 and 3.
With the purpose of supporting Objective 1 activities, the national Legal Advisor will be Justice Activity team member detailed to work at the Kosovo Judicial Council premises. The Legal Advisor will perform tasks such as, but not limited to, researching, analysing, drafting and commenting on primary and secondary legislations and acting as a liaison between the KJC and the rest of the Objective 1 team. The Legal Advisor will be deployed based on agreements reached between Justice Activity and the KJC and must be willing to work at any assigned facility.
Tasks and Activities
The Legal Advisor will complete the following tasks and activities:
- Support project efforts on researching, drafting, reviewing, and commenting on primary and secondary legislation.
- Analyze legislation, conduct research and analysis of legal documents, protocols, and other memorandums.
- Prepare research summaries, formulating policy options.
- Implementing activities related to KJC, its Committees, the Secretariat, and the courts. ∙ Supporting the project and its counterparts the KJC Chair and as necessary other KJC officials, including the Director of the KJC Secretariat, on policy matters.
- Attend formal and informal meetings with counterparts, including members of the KJC and its Secretariat, judges, lawyers, court personnel and related groups, included relevant donor-founded projects and preparing detailed read-outs from those meetings.
- Prepare, or assist in preparing, annual program work plan, implementation schedules, performance monitoring plan and related data collection, policy papers and position papers, and periodic reports required by USAID, including quarterly and annual progress report.
- All other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in law, or related field
- Five (5) years of experience in the implementation of justice sector activities ∙ Prior experience and an understanding of the Kosovo’s justice sector, including the role of functions of institutions and reform history and recent developments
- Experience providing technical assistance on justice administration to justice sector institutions
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams and independently
- Demonstrated analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Written and spoken English and Albanian and/or Serbian
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
This is a full-time position subject to annual contracts and renewable based on successful annual employment appraisals.
The duty post for this assignment is Pristina with travel to other regions as required to successfully meet the project objectives. The Legal Advisor will be primarily stationed onsite at KJC premises and will attend meetings and activities at the JA offices as needed.
Please send electronic applications, including ONLY a cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 5th, 2021. Please write “Legal Advisor” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, meaning positions may be filled prior to the closing date. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.