Tetra Tech ES, Inc. is seeking a Lead Energy Sector Expert (Expert) candidate to provide short term technical assistance (STTA) under the USAID-funded Energy Sustainability Activity (ESA) in Kosovo. ESA is a five-year program implemented by Tetra Tech that aims to improve the country’s energy security by strengthening the capacity and sustainability of local institutions to advance energy market development and regional integration and facilitate investments in energy infrastructure.
The Government of Kosovo (GoK), through the Ministry of Economy is drafting a new energy strategy taking into consideration new objectives and policy parameters and has requested ESA’s technical assistance to draft the new Energy Strategy.
Under this STTA, the Expert will support the Ministry of Economy by leading the development of the Kosovo National Energy Strategy. At the direction of the Chief of Party (COP), the Expert will coordinate with the Deputy Chief of Party, technical staff, and relevant stakeholders, to deliver the Kosovo Energy Strategy during the work period.
The expected location for performing the work is Pristina, Kosovo over a period of approximately 6 months (October 2021 – March 2022) and will require a part-time level of effort (approx. 10 days per month). The Expert will be expected to travel to Pristina, Kosovo every two weeks.
- Serve as lead technical expert during drafting of the Kosovo Energy Strategy;
- Develop workplan for completing the Kosovo Energy Strategy within the designated 6- month period.
- Lead and oversee planning, coordination of activities, and coordination of cooperation between Ministry of Economy and other stakeholders engaged in supporting the Kosovo Energy Strategy;
- Incorporate findings from different studies and models into the energy strategy. Ensure alignment of new national energy strategy with the National Energy and Climate Plan (NECP).
- Oversee technical activities and ensure strategy is aligned with objectives set by GoK;
- Ensure compliance with Energy Community energy acquis. Assess information and data available to the Ministry regarding the impact on power system performance of integrating various energy resources and evaluations of technical and economic viability of such integration, and incorporate it in the energy strategy;
- Draft and finalize the Kosovo Energy Strategy, ensuring quality control and timeliness of milestones and the final deliverable.
Essential KSA’s Required (experience, skills, education, certification, etc.):
The successful candidate will demonstrate effective management experience and proven experience managing complex tasks. Additionally, she/he should possess:
- Advanced degree in economics, business, electrical engineering, or relevant field;
- Minimum 15-year experience in the electricity sector. Experience in advising on electricity market trends and strategies;
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis, modelling and reporting of electricity market trends and strategies;
- Have a deep and broad base of knowledge regarding generation, electric transmission systems and transmission system, integrated resource planning processes, renewable resources and regulatory framework.
- Strong understanding of electricity market dynamics and price formation mechanisms in different segments of the market, as well as electricity market integration/coupling compliant with EU energy acquis;
- Experience in similar projects on energy strategy development and international/regional knowledge of electricity markets is desired. Experience with EU, Energy Community countries and Kosovo is highly desired;
- Demonstrated experience in project management and working with and coordination of various stakeholders;
- Ability to establish strong relationships with a range of organizations, beneficiaries, and related parties (e.g., national, and local government, NGOs, civil society, private sector);
- Excellent credentials as a manager of professional staff;
- Superior time management skills;
- Proficiency in office computer applications (Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.);
- Professional proficiency in English is required;
- Experience leading international donor-supported programs of relevant size and complexity, USAID experience a plus;
Valued but not required KSA’s
- Prior experience with the Government of Kosovo and private sector organizations, policy development, and training programs.
Reports To: Chief of Party (COP)
Submission Instructions: All CVs must be submitted via email, to ESI.ESABIDS@tetratech.com no later than 18:00, September 10th, 2021 Eastern Standard Time.
DEADLINE: 18:00, September 10th, 2021 Eastern Standard Time