- Requisition ID: POL00001J
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Location: OSCE Mission in Kosovo, Prishtine / Pristina
- Posting Date: Aug 19, 2021
- External Closing Date: Sep 8, 2021
- Target Start Date: Sep 17, 2021
- Job Type: Consultant
- Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent
In line with its mandate, the OSCE Mission in Kosovo (the Mission) has been supporting and building the capacities of Kosovo institutions and civil society for effective protection of human rights and prevention of human rights abuses since 1999. In its efforts to ensure a credible and professional public safety system, the Mission also provides specialized capacity building support to the Kosovo Correctional Service (KCS). This support is focused on the operational and strategic level. Deriving from the training needs analysis and assessment conducted in 2019 by KCS, in 2021 the Mission will deliver specialised training activities aiming to enhance the skills and operational knowledge of KCS officers in dynamic security and emergency response systems at the correctional facilities. In addition, the Mission will continue its support to the KCS in the aspect of human rights, whereby the Mission facilitates tailored training on prevention of human rights violations in correctional institutions.
The KCS is monitored by many international and local organizations in upholding the human rights of detainees. In this context, the KCS officers need to strengthen their knowledge on the subject, and safeguard the rights of detainees in line with best international practices.
A four-day online training on human rights standards with an emphasis on correction-related services is planned to take place between 11 and 14 October 2021.
Objective of Assignment:
The Mission will hire an international expert to deliver a four-day online training for 20 correctional service personnel on compliance with international human rights standards in detention. The training aims to strengthen the knowledge of 20 representatives from the KCS on prevention of human rights violations in correctional institutions.
Duration of Assignment:
The duration of consultancy is six working days
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the activity manager, the international expert shall:
- By 20 September 2021 develop the training methodology and materials in consultation with the Mission’s Police Development and Monitoring Section (PDMS), and deliver the agenda, presentations, exercises and case studies to PDMS before the training;
- Deliver a four-day online training on compliance with international human rights standards in detention,
- Produce post-training evaluation report and recommendations for further action.
- Submit to the activity manager the training agenda, presentations, exercises and case studies for the training in electronic form;
- Deliver a four-day online training for corrections officers;
- Conduct pre- and post-training evaluation of participants;
- Submit to the PDMS activity manager a final consultancy report that includes the results of pre- and post-training evaluation of the participants, the training in general and recommendations for further action.
- Training agenda and all material delivered on time in an appropriate format as requested by the PDMS activity manager. The trainer and the activity manager will agree on the appropriate form during the initial phase of the assignment;
- Training delivered as planned;
- The feedback provided by the participants (questionnaire to be designed). The post-training evaluation indicates increase of knowledge of participants after the training.
- University degree in law, political sciences, international relations or other related fields
- At least ten years of relevant experience in the area of human rights with focus on detention
- Extensive experience in training detention personnel on the issues of human rights
- Excellent understanding of international human rights standards related to detention
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills
- Professional fluency in English
- Preferably be an active or former member of the Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (UN OHCHR SPT), the Council of Europe’s Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT), or part of any other body that monitors the detention.
- Preferable knowledge of the Kosovo legislation;
Remuneration will depend on the qualifications and experience of individual experts as well as the detailed work plan to be agreed upon and will be based on the current OSCE consultancy rates.
In order to apply for this position you must complete the OSCE's online application form, found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies. Applicants are encouraged to use the online recruitment and only fully completed OSCE applications will be accepted. However, if you have technical difficulties with the system you may use the offline application form found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/offline-application-form and forward the
completed form quoting the vacancy number by e-mail to: email@example.com. In line with your qualifications please indicate preference to one or more field of expertise listed above (while using the online application the field of expertise preference can be indicated in the cover letter part). Kindly note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or inother languages than the English language would not be considered. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply.