Title Circular Economy Analyst (NPSA-8)
Job ID 40646
Practice Area - Job Family Environment and Energy - CIRCULAR ECONOMY
Vacancy End Date 17/12/2021
Duty Station Pristina, Kosovo, UNSCR1244 (1999)
Education & Work Experience G-Bachelor's Level Degree - 2 year(s) experience, I-Master's Level Degree - 0 year(s) experience
Languages Albanian, English
Vacancy Type National PSA
Posting Type External
Contract Duration 1 year with possibility for extension
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UNDP Kosovo programme builds on the unique positioning of UNDP in the United Nations system and aims to bring its comparative advantages of (1) technical and local expertise to support development and implementation of multi-sector country strategic plans and frameworks; (2) a strong presence in central and municipal levels to establish multi-stakeholder partnerships; (3) impartiality, accountability and trust from local partners; and (4) as a thought-leader, providing integrated and cross-sectoral solutions, combining policy and regulatory advice with capacity development.
UNDP Kosovo’s Inclusive Growth and Climate Resilience Portfolio provides technical support to deliver on, and contribute to, sustainable development and climate resilience-building. The programme supports Kosovo institutions to plan, adopt policy frameworks, and build capacities to transition toward sustainable energy, low-emission, and climate-resilient development is a crucial area of work for UNDP. UNDP’s services build on the growing portfolio of transformative climate resilience, energy, and climate change mitigation projects and for which UNDP provides oversight, quality assurance, and technical advisory services. There are active projects at the moment focusing on Ecotourism to bounce forward from COVID-19 through a green recovery; Strengthening Local Climate Action to continue previous successes in increasing GHG emission monitoring, smart green solutions, and the transition to a sustainable local food system, and; to create a Healthier Kosovo through reducing the exposure to air pollution by using tools such as behavioral insights. UNDP Kosovo and the portfolio is always looking to be more innovative, knowledge-, and data-driven within all the programme efforts to improve the conditions for the environment and the people by enabling an economic shift towards decent jobs, environmental sustainability, and climate resilience.
The quality of life for people in Kosovo continues to be undermined by growing environmental degradation – a consequence of accumulated industrial pollutants, air pollution from the use of fossil fuels, weak waste management due to outdated practices and technologies, widespread use of fertile land for construction and unsustainable use of natural resources. Enhanced environmental protection and more sustainable use of resources is not important only for improving the quality of the environment, it also provides great possibilities in bringing together divided communities by allowing them to recognize common interests, priorities, needs and aspirations. Green transition is critical for ensuring sustainable future for Kosovo, but also brings along opportunities for new livelihoods and decent jobs.
Climate change (CC) is expected to amplify the impacts that the natural and physical environment has on human health and wellbeing. The Western Balkans region is already experiencing a range of impacts from CC. The temperatures are increasing, water resources are declining, and infectious and vector borne diseases (mostly heat- related) are consistently increasing. All these impacts will add to the burden already being experienced in Kosovo, in terms of health and wellbeing of people, and as adding pressure to the existing health systems and infrastructure. UNDP aims to:
- Strengthen evidence-based, gender-responsive and cross-sectoral policy formulation and implementation as well as strengthen legislative framework in combatting climate change.
- Unlock climate finance for strengthening resilience towards climate, biodiversity and health crises.
- Enhance capacities of Kosovo institutions and communities in monitoring, forecasting and early warning for climate risks and disasters, and strengthened transboundary integrated river basin management.
The Circular Economy Analyst will work within the Inclusive Growth and Climate Resilience Portfolio, to primarily ensure an effective drafting of the Circular Economy Roadmap for Kosovo, providing policy advice and inter-institutional coordination, and advancing transition to circular economy. The Circular Economy Analyst will provide overall support to the implementation of environment- and climate-related interventions within the portfolio.
The Circular Economy Analyst will contribute to strengthening the unit’s ability to deliver its environment- and climate-related interventions, while simultaneously ramping up the capacity around key following priority areas: environmental sustainability, green transition (incl. energy transition), circular economy, and climate action.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Circular Economy Analyst, under the supervision of the Inclusive Growth and Climate Resilience Portfolio Manager, will primarily provide support in drafting policy and programme development services towards environment- and climate-related projects and knowledge products, mainly focusing on circular economy , and working closely with Kosovo institutions but also with other UN agencies, governments and inter-governmental organizations, NGOs, development partners, academia, and the private sector. Specific results are expected in the areas of:
Conduct circular economy roadmap research and data analysis
- Support the Circular Economy Roadmap experts and team in drafting the CE Roadmap for Kosovo, by conducting secondary research, providing data and analytics
- Support drafting of policy advice and expertise in the domain of circular economy and green transition.
- Explore opportunities for new circular economy interventions, also considering complementarity with ongoing interventions.
- Facilitate transfer of knowledge through delivering trainings or other capacity development of participating institutions as well as other relevant partners in the field of circular economy and green transition.
Ensure active UNDP participation in the CE roadmap stakeholder dialogue, and support MESPI in leading an effective dialogue.
- Support facilitation effective dialogue around circular economy with key partners.
- Ensure active participation of inter-ministerial stakeholders, private sector, and development partners in drafting the Circual Economy Rodmap
- As a focal point for CE Roadmap from UNDP, ensure active participation of UNDP in the process, engagement of the management, and timely response
- Coordinate with MESPI, CE Roadmap experts on daily basis to ensure smooth cooperation between the parties
Support drafting of UNDP climate policy
- Through up-to-date Kosovo context and a comprehensive approach, analyse the opportunities and challenges for climate change policy interventions, with applicable recommendations.
- Contribute towards building a coherent and effective climate change policy architecture, and ensuring that climate change is mainstreamed into the national development plan and sectoral planning processes.
- Through systematic review of international best practices and experiences, adapt recommendations for the local context.
- Play an active role in stakeholder coordination, dialogue, and identification of new opportunities for collaboration.
- Support to Kosovo Climate Change Committee through needs assessments and provision of targeted capacity building support through UNDP’s extensive global expertise and experiences.
- Provision of other support based on needs and requests by Kosovo institutions – e.g. support in developing mitigation and adaptation measures, advancing circular economy, and green transition.
Overall support on the implementation of the project and other environmental related topics
- Support and coordination with project teams on day-to-day environment and climate research, proposal writing, operations; as well as with other relevant stakeholders (CSOs / private sector / public sector).
- Provision of regular reports and exchanges of information/experience with other projects, cross-learning and sharing results and good practices.
- Collection and analysis of lessons learnt through project implementation as well as from other interventions in Kosovo and beyond, distil them into recommendations, follow-up actions, and knowledge products for more effective and efficient project implementation.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Committed to the highest regards of professionalism, impartiality, accountability, transparency, ethics, and integrity.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, ethnicity, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Demonstrates substantial experience in gender equality and social inclusion.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Ability to work effectively within a team and develop good relationships with counterparts and stakeholders.
- Ability to synthesize research and conclude the related subjects.
- Ability to pay attention to details.
- Demonstrates transparency and provides feedback to all those who will contribute to the evaluation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment.
- Commitment to accomplish work.
- Responds positively to critical feedback.
- Results and task-oriented.
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of gender and development as well as more broadly, in line with the area of expertise, ie. climate change, with an emphasis on the provision of coordinated support and management of strategic programmes to advance gender equality and women’s rights
- Demonstrated analytical work on gender economic development, gender in public administration, climate change, environment programming etc.
- Ability to carry out gender-related economic, environmental, public research and analysis, to contribute to the formulation of policies, programme interventions, procedures, guidelines and tools.
- Strategic thinking and building partnerships to promote Gender Equality
- Advocacy skills to promote gender equality approaches, to achieve the UNDP Gender Equality agenda or national gender equality agenda with internal and external partners
- Promoting gender equality accountability framework and Gender equality Results Based management in CO: RCA, ATLAS initiative, ROAR reporting, etc.
- Promoting organizational learning and knowledge sharing in gender analysis and gender mainstreaming.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree in economics, environmental economics, environment and climate change studies, social sciences, or other relevant fields.
Bachelor's degree in relevant field with additional 2 years of experience may be taken into consideration in lieu of the Master's degree.
- 2 years with Bachelor’s degree (or Master’s degree with no experience) of relevant professional experience in a similar project or role;
- Proven track record in policy research, preferably within economics, environment and/or climate policy, public policy or related fields;
- Proven ability to develop plans, coordinate and implement complex activities with diverse range of partners in a multi-cultural context;
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages. Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Albanian (written and oral)
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills in clear and fluent English and Albanian
- Knowledge of Serbian is preferred.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Analyst, and close coordination with the portfolio team, the Circular Economy Analyst will ensure high quality research, advice, and project implementation for activities with focus on: environment, energy, circular economy, and climate change.
The Circular Economy Analyst works in close collaboration with the respective CO Programme and Operations teams ensuring successful CO performance and compliance in programme management and finance. This includes supporting the application of sensemaking principles and portfolio analytical approaches to the full UNDP 2021-2025 as a pilot demonstration for UNDP.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.