Functional title: Task Manager for the Feasibility Study for Social Housing in Kosovo
Duty station of assignment: Home-based and Kosovo (three missions)
Contract type: Consultancy Assignment (IC)
Duration of assignment: 5 working months over the period from Oct 2020 to May 2021
Closing date for applications: 11 October 2020
UN-Habitat has been actively assisting Kosovo institutions in the field of governance, spatial planning and municipal administration since 1999. Building on the results and tools generated by the Municipal Spatial Planning Support Programme, UN-Habitat is implementing the Inclusive Development Programme supported by the Swedish Development Cooperation which aims to provide a strategic, comprehensive package of support to build municipal planning and management capacities, strengthen the social contract and social cohesion, and enhance coordination within a framework of inter-municipal cooperation and multi-level governance with a view to foster inclusive development and good governance in northern Kosovo.
In addition, UN-Habitat is supporting the Kosovo Government, respectively Department of Planning, Construction and Housing in the Ministry of Economy and Environment to conduct feasibility study for a sustainable social housing programe in Kosovo. This study is supported with funding from the Italian Fund for Innovative Projects (IFIP) received through the Council of Europe Development Bank (CEB). In course of this support and in responding to the priorities set out by the Kosovo National Investment Committee, support will be provided under two components:
- Setting the scene and parameters for the further development of a social housing programme and
- Elaboration of programme concept
For more general information on UN-Habitat in Kosovo, and details refer to the website: http://www.unhabitat-kosovo.org
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The general purpose of the assignment is to conduct a feasibility study for social housing project in Kosovo, by coordinating closely with the Ministry of Economy and Environment (Kosovo government/local and central level institutions), UN-Habitat HQ Housing branch and the Council of Europe Development Bank (CEB). The incumbent should also liaise with central civil society, university and other relevant stakeholders dealing with housing.
SKILL SETS REQUIRED
A range of skills will be required: housing policy and finance, housing rights, spatial and urban planning, local economic development planning, land management, human settlements, ability to collect, record and interpret data; ability to interpret legislative framework relating to housing and planning and a good working knowledge of the housing needs assessment methodologies, project or programme management and/or development, including at least two at the international level. Experience in post conflict areas is an added advantage.
Under the overall guidance and the direct supervision of the Chief Technical Adviser, including the substantive guidance from the Land Housing and Shelter, the Task Manager will be responsible for performing the following main tasks:
- Prepare the inception report general work plan (schedule and project timeline) and methodology for undertaking the feasibility study for social housing programme in Kosovo;
- Draft ToRs for new staff, guide and coordinate the project local/international staff with profiles in housing policy, sustainable housing, migration and governance housing, and housing finance);
- Draft, lead quality assurance and ensure that all outputs (Kosovo-wide investment and technical assistance needs assessment, and analysis of sustainable social housing options;
- Social Housing programme concept) are in alignment with the Kosovo context;
- Address all thematic issues included in the ToRs for FS (which will be submitted later to the Consultant by UN-Habitat staff) are covered by:the Kosovo-wide assessment (housing provision, housing management and maintenance, housing finance and tax policy, housing cost and affordability, social housing needs assessment, regulatory framework analysis and review, assessment of the legal & regulatory frameworks in support of the social housing sector (incl. housing database, etc), comparative analysis of social housing standards and policy measures in the region, two-fold analysis of social housing schemes (social and financial cost-benefit analysis etc), municipalities’ contribution, capacity needs assessment at central and local level, and technical assistance needs, rapid institutional reform proposal, set of housing related solutions and recommendations on selected pressing topics;
- the Programme concept: an investment component, a technical assistance (TA) component and an information technology (IT) component. More specifically, the following issues should be covered: Institutional set-up and project management structure, technical assistance component, investment component, information technology component, selection of beneficiaries and allocation of housing units, programmatic matters and project cost
- Circulate the working draft with the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) and respective housing staff and integrate potential comments;
- Initiate/participate in consultative meetings/workshops/focus groups (and other related activities) with respective institutions at local/central level in Kosovo, including civil society organizational and other relevant stakeholders
- Present to CTA and other relevant stakeholders reports on progress as well as problems and solutions
- Monitor and report on project progress
- Implement and manage change when necessary to meet project outputs
- Evaluate and assess result of project
- Liaise with relevant regional and international housing institutions;
DELIVERABLES AND IMPLEMANTION SCHEDULE
The assignment is expected to be for 5 w/months (equivalent of 110 working days) over a period from October 2020 and finish not later than 30 May 2021. The contract includes three missions in Prishtina, Kosovo: December 2020 (5 w/days, dates tbc); February 2021 (3 w/days, dates tbc) and May (2 w/days, dates tbc) 2021.
Deadline for applications: 11th October 2020