Issued on 22 March 2021
Functional title: International Housing Advisor (for the feasibility study for Social Housing in Kosovo)
Duty station of assignment: Home-based, with a maximum of two travel assignments to Pristina, Kosovo expected
Contract type: Consultancy Assignment (IC)
Duration of assignment: 24 working days over the period from 15 April to 30 Sep 2021
Closing date for applications: 7 April 2021
UN-Habitat has been actively assisting Kosovo institutions in the field of governance, spatial planning and municipal administration since 1999. Building on the results and tools generated by the Municipal Spatial Planning Support Programme, UN-Habitat is implementing the Inclusive Development Programme supported by the Swedish Development Cooperation which aims to provide a strategic, comprehensive package of support to build municipal planning and management capacities, strengthen the social contract and social cohesion, and enhance coordination within a framework of inter-municipal cooperation and multi-level governance with a view to foster inclusive development and good governance in northern Kosovo.
In addition, UN-Habitat is supporting the Kosovo Government, respectively Department of Planning, Construction and Housing in the Ministry of Economy and Environment to conduct a feasibility study for a sustainable social housing programme in Kosovo. This study is supported with funding from the Italian Fund for Innovative Projects (IFIP) received through the Council of Europe Development Bank (CEB). In course of this support and in responding to the priorities set out by the Kosovo National Investment Committee, support will be provided under two components:
– Kosovo-wide assessment report on social housing needs (Output 1)
– Elaboration of social housing programme concept for Kosovo (Output 2)
For more general information on UN-Habitat in Kosovo, and details refer to the website: http://www.unhabitat-kosovo.org
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The general purpose of the assignment is to provide technical assistance and peer review (including suggestions and recommendations) of respective outputs of the feasibility study for the social housing project for Kosovo. More specifically, the incumbent will be responsible to develop Output 2 (Elaboration of the programme concept for social housing programme in Kosovo) based on the findings derived from Output 1 (to be developed by Habitat for Humanity International-HFHI). In addition, the incumbent will ensure that Output 1 will be developed in line with the requirements of Output 2, by reviewing and providing specific suggestions and recommendations accordingly. The incumbent should work together with UN-Habitat staff and Habitat for Humanity International staff responsible for drafting this feasibility study.
SKILL SETS REQUIRED
A range of skills will be required: the ability to interpret legislative framework relating to housing and a good working knowledge of the housing policy and finance (including affordable housing loans/regulations), housing structures (local/central level); housing rights, land management, housing construction sector, housing database; ability to collect and interpret data, writing experience (policy recommendations), and
experience in drafting the programme concepts/project proposals for various International Financial Institutions. Experience in post-conflict areas is an added advantage.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA), the International Housing Expert will be responsible for performing the following main tasks:
- Provide comments, suggestions, and advice related to housing aspects addressed within the Kosovo-wide assessment report (Output 1)
- Provide technical advisory assistance and support on matters relating to the housing structures and policies at both local and central government levels (Output 1)
- Develop a detailed programme concept for the social housing programme in Kosovo, based on the findings derived from the Kosovo-wide assessment report on social housing (will all elements specified in the table presented below (Output 2)
- Integrate comments on the programme concept from CTA, Project Advisory Committee (PAC) members, and other relevant stakeholders
- Participate in regular and ad-hoc consultative meetings with UN-Habitat and HFHI staff
Provide monthly progress reports to CTA.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates must submit an email quoting the post title and the duty station to the email address: email@example.com
with the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
1. Cover letter explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
2. Completion of a CV in P11 Form which can be downloaded at: http://unhabitat-kosovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/p11_form.doc. The CV shall include information on past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references.
3. Technical Proposal specifying how the project would be approached and providing a brief methodology on how they would approach and conduct the work
4. Financial Proposal. The offeror’s letter including form for the financial proposal can be downloaded at: http://unhabitat-kosovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Financial_proposal_IC.docx
Deadline for applications: 7 April 2021