Assistant Program Officer, Southeast Europe (Albania & Kosovo) (Job #20108-1)
National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks an Assistant Program Officer for the Europe portfolio. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Assistant Program Officer (APO) will work with the regional director and program staff to manage the Endowment’s grants program for the Southeast European portfolio. The APO will assist in the vetting of proposals and the monitoring and assessment of grants; draft analytical and descriptive material for internal and external offices; track political developments in Southeast Europe, with emphasis on Albania and Kosovo; and provide programmatic support to senior staff.
- Assist in the assessment and management of grants.
- Assist in tracking administrative and program budgets.
- Assist in the review of grant applications.
- Assist in the management of a portfolio of grants, including preparation of materials for review at quarterly board meetings.
- Coordinate and engage with other NED departments to further team priorities.
- Monitor grantees in the field through desk research and periodic travel.
- Maintain regular communication with grantees, other civil society organizations and contacts in the region.
- Provide general programmatic support for senior staff in fulfillment of the Endowment’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
- 2 + years of applicable programmatic experience.
- Significant field work experience, study or travel in the region.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite, databases and other applications.
- In-depth regional expertise in Southeast Europe, with emphasis on Albania and Kosovo;
- Familiarity with civil society issues and knowledge of civil society organizations and individual activists in Southeast Europe, particularly in Albania and Kosovo;
- Grant-making, grant - management or fundraising experience;
- Knowledge of relevant languages is preferred;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, international office environment.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references. Please, no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.